Low Power, Custom HW, Mobile Phones
Easily connect low power devices, custom data acquisition and control boards, or use mobile phones as gateways.
Integrate your assets using widely available, low cost industrial IoT gateways.
Servers and VM's
Connect devices and applications using high capacity and performance servers and edge or cloud virtual machines.
The CloudPlugs edge products support a variety of third party processors, embedded boards, IoT gateways, systems, servers as well as virtual machine deployments.
There are multiple choices to connect your sensors or devices to CloudPlugs IoT and the best method depends on the type of device to be connected.
Here are the ways in which devices can connect to CloudPlugs IoT.
Low Power Devices
These are devices that cannot run an operating system, and are typically control boards with firmware. There are two options:
- If the device uses a micro-controller such as an ESP8266 or ESP32, use the PicoPlug™ agent to collect device and sensor data and send it to CloudPlugs IoT or to Edge One.
- Otherwise, for custom boards, Arduino and other boards use one of our REST or MQTT connectivity libraries and integrate it alongside the firmware of the device. The devices can send the data to CloudPlugs IoT or to Edge One™.
Mobile Phones as Gateways
Mobile phones and mobile phone apps can be connected to CloudPlugs IoT using the MQTT Libraries for Android and IOS. These allows the following two modes of operation:
- The mobile phone acts as a gateway to collect data from sensors such as Bluetooth sensors or other devices that can connect and send data to a mobile app. The mobile phone sends the sensor data to CloudPlugs IoT or to Edge One using the MQTT Android or IOS client.
- The mobile phone has an app that collects any type of information that needs to be sent to the CloudPlugs IIoT Platform or to Edge One gateways for further data processing.
IoT, IIoT Gateways and Devices with Linux
If the device can run Linux there are also two choices:
- If the OS is Ubuntu or Debian and the device has an x86 1GHz processor and at least 512MB of RAM, you can use the Edge One™ container-based platform.
- If the OS is any type of Linux and the device has an ARMv7 or x86 processor with at least 64MB of RAM, you can install the SmartPlug™ IoT agent.
Servers and Virtual Machines
Much like above, the SmartPlug™ will run on any x86 server or virtual machine running Linux.
Edge One™ runs on any Linux based x86 server or virtual machine.
Virtual machine deployments are popular for users that want to create cloud connectors or data processing using Edge One™.
If you have a project that requires support for additional hardware, please contact us.